Some people do actually succeed in sticking to and achieving the "Resolutions" they set for the New Year. Most, however, stay on track only until they start hitting a few obstacles and their resolve dwindles to excuses, "oh wells" and feelings of frustration, failure or fated self-determination. Why is this? Why do we start out with such a positive outlook and good intentions accompanied by the fireworks and celebration and then fizzle like a spent firecracker? Does it have to be this way? Should we make resolutions at all? Is there a better way?
While we don't need to make resolutions or start our new goals at the beginning of the New Year, it is good to have goals and a plan for achieving them. And yes, it is possible to actually reach your goals and there are certain behaviors and actions that will give you a better chance of not falling into the 92% that failure to keep their resolutions or reach their goals. If you follow the tips below, you will have a better chance of successfully achieving your goals! Remember though that it is not a race and there is no specific start and finish time for your goals, unless you set those deadlines yourself. It is not linked to the lunar calendar! You can start on your own schedule and progress at whatever rate you decide. However, if you want to make your goals come to life, there are some definite steps to greatly increase the odds. Listed below are some tried and true suggestions for achieving the goals you set for yourself:
- Choose a goal that is something you genuinely want, rather than something you feel you should do or someone else thinks you should do.
- If you want to achieve more than one goal, limit it to no more than 2 or 3 goals that you are working toward at one time.
- Be specific about what you want to achieve and write it down with as much detail as possible. .
- Make a plan with the steps you need to take to achieve your end goal clearly indicated. Break it down into small steps.
- Visualize your outcome and what it will be like to achieve your goal. How will it feel? What will you gain by reaching this goal? Really see yourself doing it and believe you are there.
- Be prepared for resistance and doubts when they pop up (they will) and be ready to counter them with the vision of your positive outcome!
- Share your goals only with trusted and supportive friends and family. You don’t need any critics. Surround yourself with supporters and positivity!
- If you slip up along the way, forgive yourself and get back on course. Recommit to your goal! You will only fail, if you quit! You might need to make adjustments and change course, but if you persevere you will reach your destination.